Forums

General Science and Teaching

SORTING

Author Post
Diana Chicas Diana Chicas 805 Points

I have a question in regard to my lesson plan. I am over rocks and no longer want to use them in my lesson plan, so if anyone can help me by sharing any authenic activites that can be used to teach kindergartners about sorting by shape, color, and size it will be very helpeful! Thank you in advance! 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Seeds! Sort seeds by those attributes. Then talk about what eats them! Have visuals on hand of different bird beaks so they can guess which bird might eat which type of seeds. 

Check out the Bird Beak Buffet-  http://www.pbs.org/parents/dinosaurtrain/activities/bird-beak-buffet/

Kasey Lahart Kasey Lahart 2460 Points

Some kids I worked with recently really liked sorting buttons for some reason. I tried other objects like rocks or other toys, but they definitely enjoyed the buttons the most. They would sort them once and then they'd mix them all up again and sort them a different way, over and over again. They're usually really cheap and a lot of people probably have a whole slew of them they would be willing to donate, in all sorts of shapes, sizes, and colors. 

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

I couldn't love Pamela's suggestion more! If you have microscopes, your students will be amazed at the detail they can see on seeds to help them in the sorting process! 

Jessica Holman Jessica Holman 2170 Points

I love all of the ideas on this thread as well! I was thinking and another cool idea may be leaves. I am thinking more during the fall season but you could take your kiddo outside and have them pick different leaves and then you could sort them. You could sort by size, color, shape. You could have kids try and identify the trees they think they fell from and even list what all leaves have that are the same as well as what makes them different. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers