Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / New Teacher

Elementary Science

New Teacher

Author Post
Janette Perez Janette Perez 55 Points

Hello all, 

What would be your best advise for a new science teachers whose weakest subject has ever been science? It make me a little nervous realizing that I'll soon be teaching it to younger minds!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Janette, You have certainly come to the right place!  The Science Objects and SciPacks in the Learning Center are designed to help non-major teachers of science to go through major content topics in a self-paced, individualized learning format.  If you don't know where to begin, try taking one of the PD Indexers for a science category.  The three categories are Life Science, Earth and Space Science, and Physical Science.  Each of the categories has a "Select All Subjects" tab.  Once you take the pre-assessment, you are given suggestions of resources in the Learning Center that you can download and use to help strengthen your understandings of specific science concepts. To get to the Professional Development Indexers (PD Indexers), first go to the Learning Center, then click on the tab that says Profesional Learning Tools.  Next scroll ALL the way down to the bottom of that page to where it says:   Finally, click where it says, "Click here to select a group of subjects to diagnose.  This is where you will find the pre-assessments.  Once you have taken one of them, you can view your results AND the recommendations to use to "brush up" on your subject matter. The SciPacks are outstanding - easy to follow - and have a "built in" mentor that is available via email to help you with specific questions as you work through the modules.   Let me know if you have additional questions about these built in resources to help you with your science content knowledge and understanding. Best, Carolyn Mohr SENIOR ONLINE ADVISOR and Adjunct Professor of Science Methods courses

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Janette, I totally agree with Carolyn's recommendation. I would also add that you just need to tackle a small bite at a time. Content knowledge is something you build over time. Practice doing lessons with children that live next door, the children of your friends, or cousins. My neices and nephews are expecting me to show up at every family gathering with a science challenge for them. Doing this has enabled me to see where the pitfalls might be and how to extend their thinking and questioning. Start your -My Library and add lessons to it that you find interesting. If you are passionate, it shows, and you don't have to know everything before you start teaching. Plan your questions ahead of time and write them on an index card if you are concerned you might forget. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers