Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Moon Phases and Time of Day

Earth and Space Science

Moon Phases and Time of Day

Author Post
Garth Rehberg Garth Rehberg 2775 Points

I recently took the final assessment of the Earth, Moon, and Sun. The couple questions I got wrong were about the Moon and the time of day that it occurs. ( Example: The full moon rises at what time?) Can someone clear this up for me?

Garth Rehberg Garth Rehberg 2775 Points

I recently took the final assessment of the Earth, Moon, and Sun. The couple questions I got wrong were about the Moon and the time of day that it occurs. ( Example: The full moon rises at what time?) Can someone clear this up for me?

Barbara Brothers Barbara Brothers 2825 Points

Here are two websites with a short description about it: http://earthsky.org/moon-phases/full-moon www.astronomicalfacts.com/Moonfacts.html I hope this helps!

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

There is a very good article in the October 2010 edition of Science Scope entitled Scope on the Skies: Moon Phases. Please see my attachment to the article. There is a moon clock in the article that can be duplicated for students and a worksheet to go with it. I hope this helps you.

Attachments

Janice Novello Janice Novello 6985 Points

Barbara, Thank you for the website. Not only did it contain info on the Moon, it is a wonderful source that I now added to automatic feed. Janice

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Garth,
Betty mentioned a moon clock in one of the NLC journal articles; you can access a moon clock for any part of the world and find out when the moon rises and sets for any day, week, etc. Go to Moon Rise & Set Clock
It is cool - it will tell you the exact time of rise/set for any phase of the moon.
Carolyn

I can't remember exactly where I found it, but there is a moon clock that the students can make. You attach one circle to another and you put one of those fasteners in the middle. You can spin the top dial to match the phase with the time it rises/sets. I will try and find the link.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Kristin, I am not sure if this is the moon clock you were thinking of. I accessed it as a downloadable pdf from a google search: Moon Clock (www.trschools.com/staff/g/cgirtain/WS/MoonClock.pdf). Just copy and paste the URL (without the parentheses)into a new window. The pattern is provided and just needs to be cut out. Then a brad holds the two pieces of paper together. As a side note, I checked out the school website that had posted the pdf. The school district is in New Jersey. It was interesting to view their science curriculum and pacing guides http://www.trschools.com/curriculum/ Carolyn

That looks pretty darn close to the one I used. It works well for the students to grasp the concept. I had students make them and keep in their science folders, and then we used them to coincide with the current moon phase.

Denise Karratti Denise Karratti 820 Points

This doesn't exactly answer your question but I thought it might be something fun to share. In Hawaiian culture, their calendar was a lunar calendar unlike how we today use a solar calendar. Their moon calendar was used to guide both fishers and farmers in their work. There were times when no fishing or farming could be done! The website below provides some interesting information. http://www.kamehamehapublishing.org/multimedia/apps/mooncalendar/

Kehau Samuelu DonnaLynn Samuelu 3485 Points

This was a very interesting forum. I was just about to share a little about what Denise shared but the link is awesome. In my elementary days and high school classes we had to write about the different days and the Hawaiian names for each moon. It wasn't put together in a nice website like that. Thank you for the resource. I also didn't even know that a full moon rises at a certain time. The first website shared was another great resource. I want to use the see saw analogy with my kindergarteners. I am excited that I have a great visual for them. Thank you, Kehau Samuelu

that is awesome! thank you....I will definitely be sharing this story with my class..

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers