Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Preparing for the Next generation Science standards- using Models- poll question-

Next Generation Science Standards

Preparing for the Next generation Science standards- using Models- poll question-

Author Post
Barbara Searcy Barbara Searcy 630 Points

from Barbara Searcy I use models to help students reinforce ideas and concepts.When trying to enter this live seminar- I only get the preview Powerpoint presentation. Models are tools to develop questions, practice , explain and communicate ideas.

Paul Boyer Paul Boyer 1850 Points

Hi Barbara, did you go to http://learningcenter.nsta.org/products/symposia_seminars/NGSS/files/PreparingforNGSS--DevelopingandUsingModels_9-25-2012.pdf ? There should be 132 slides in the whole presentation.

Elizabeth Ferrari Elizabeth Ferrari 2445 Points

In elementary what is the typically amount of time teachers should be spending on science daily? Is science taught daily or weekly?

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Elizabeth, You bring up an interesting question. I have discovered that the amount of time spent on science is different from school district to school district (and even between schools in the same district). You will find some schools where elementary teachers are actually told NOT to teach science until after state reading and math tests are over. In other schools and districts science is taught on a regular basis, but that may mean once a week for 30 minutes or every day. It will be great to hear specific information from various teachers around the world. Please share with Elizabeth how long you have to teach science each day or week. Carolyn

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers