Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Addressing Students Misconceptions

Early Childhood

Addressing Students Misconceptions

Author Post
Lisbette Armenta Lisbette 20 Points

I am a UC Berkeley students and this semester I was placed in a 6th grade classroom. Through out my time there I noticed that students had a difficult time addressing their misconceptions about math and science. They normally were not open to explanation for clearing up the misconceptions they have. My question is: as teachers how can one facilitate or guide students in explaining the misconceptions that ay student might have? As well as how I help students become open to the receiving feedback/explanations of misconceptions?

Kelly Anne McKinley Kelly Anne McKinley 2945 Points

I watched a video recently about how a third grade science teacher would, at the end of every lesson, have her students fill out a worksheet based on what they learned. The teacher will collect the handout (not for a grade) and then go through them at home and find her "favorite mistakes" on the worksheet or common misconceptions. The next school day, the teacher would write these misconceptions up on the board and talk about them with her students. She wrote these misconceptions without giving away who the students were and I thought it was a really great way to clear up misconceptions without embarrassing anyone!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers