Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Advice for Future Educators

Early Childhood

Advice for Future Educators

Author Post
Caylie Porter Caylie Porter 205 Points

I am currently in the Early Childhood Education program at my university, and am seeking advice for teaching younger grades with my K-6 certification. Last semester I observed a kindergarten classroom but never witnessed any science lessons, so I really am unsure of how to go about doing any science instruction with that grade level. What are some science lessons that I could do with students that age? How do I keep them engaged in the material? What experiences have you had with students in the kindergarten-second grade levels? Please let me know what you think. Thank you for your time!

Yolanda Rodriguez Yolanda Rodriguez 330 Points

Hello, 

I am currently teaching Kindergarten. Children at this age love hands-on activities but also enjoy learning about things that they are interested on. I would encourage you to teach what the students seek questions about. For example, right now I am teaching about animals since the topic about hibernation came up after reading the book, Bears Snores On. We talked about what is hibernation and why animals go into hibernation. This lead into other animals and what other animals do during the winter, 'Migrate or adapt.' Other topics that are taught in Kindergarten include the life cycle of insects, parts of a plant, life cycle of a plant, living and non-living things, sink and float, magnets, just to name a few. For sink and float, we created a chart with a list of items and ask each student whether they thought it would sink or float. For parts of a plant, we explored an actual plant and pointed out the parts of the plant. Then they drew a plant and labeled the parts. For living and non-living we explored our environment and looked for living/non-living things. 

Wishing you the Best of Luck! 

Hi there! I am a transitional kindergarten teacher and science is such an important subject that truly allows students to explore and become critical thinkers. I recently completed a unit on winter animals where my students explored the topic of hibernation. Students learned songs and read books about hibernation. They also built their own caves out of materials that they found out on the play yard and a few things that I brought from home. Because they were able to build it themselves, they understood what animals do when they hibernate.  They loved it!

Kayla Collins Kayla Collins 30 Points

Hi, as a future educator I think it is important to understand science at an early age. Being hands on with materials or even just teaching students about animal life. Such as insects or mammals could really help their knowledge of what all science is about. Maybe even just reading stories about science could give them an idea of why things are the way they are and how things can grow and come about. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers