Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Teaching Science to Elementary Students

Early Childhood

Teaching Science to Elementary Students

Author Post
Sarahi Villarreal Sarahi Villarreal 395 Points

Hi! Future elementary school teacher here! 

The scary part about being an elementary teacher is that we are in charge of teaching our students about all the subjects that later in life have an assigned teacher who majored in the subject they are learning, my weakest subjects happen to be math and science. (Yikes) I was wondering what would be a good way to ensure that I am constantly learning along with my students? What are some fun ways to learn so that my students do not struggle in the future with the subject like myself?

Alexandria Monahan Alexandria Monahan 380 Points

Hi Sarahi! 

I am also a future elementary school teacher and one of my favorite subjects is science! One of the things that I like best about it is the hands-on activities that the students can do! As an example, I have field experience with a thrid grade classroom right now. Within the past week, they have been learning about how seeds grow into plants such as fruits and vegetables as well as how animals assist in pollination! This unit is so easy to do experiments with because there are ample amount of resources to use, all you have to do is look! Just today, my students and I conducted an apple experiment during class. I gave them four different types of apples and they had to figure out the different tastes that the apples had as well as write down what the apple looks like. After when we were done I created a bar graph and my students had to state what apple was their favorite (little to their surprise they were doing math)! One way that I would recommend to learn with your students is to pick out activities and lessons that not only your students will enjoy, but yourself as well! I found out that it is a lot more enjoyable when you are able to positively experience science class with your students!

When in doubt, allow students to take control of their experiments and let them have fun! This allows them to explore and become more comfortable with their subjects.

Hope this helped! Happy sciencing!

Lexi Monahan

Elyse Juarez Elyse Juarez 725 Points

Hi Sarahi! I am also a future elementary school teacher, but I think I could provide some tips on learning with your students! When I create my lesson plans, I sometimes do some research on what to incorporate with my students. I always learn something new when creating lesson plans. I feel as long as you are putting in the effort and understand it as well, you will be able to catch on and learn fast. Students also like to participate in discussion, so you can learn things from them as well!

Anne Lowry Anne Lowry 8543 Points

Hi Sarahi

Co-constructing your learnings alongside your students will help everyone!  as you all learn togteher, they see you modeling how to learn, which is powerful.  And you might find some of those missing pieces which will then make science and math much easier. 

For continuing to learn, NSTA has lots of resources.   SciPacks, articles, up to date rsearch .... and people who will answer questions on topics

Anne

Kristin Preast Kristin Preast 1670 Points

I would try to find videos, interactive websites, and songs so you and your students can learn.

Anna Orr Anna Orr 200 Points

Finding articles and videos in NSTA can be a good way to continue growing in these subjects! It is also a good thing to learn alongside your students!

Jessica Burce Jessica Burce 360 Points

Hi Sarahi! I believe interactive videos and songs are a great and enaging way to learn new skills. In addition, I have found many articles on NSTA that has broadened my Science pedagogy already (and I have only been a member for 1 week). Depending on your preferred learning style, you could also research any Science topic using a variety of search enginges that would meet your specific needs (example: teaching chemcial and physical changes for kinesthetic learners or teaching Earth Science for visual learners). I find that I am more engaged and experience greater academic success when my favorite learning modalities are incorporated.

Jenna Castellano Jenna Castellano 250 Points

Reading through this forum was very benefitical! I am studying to be an early childhood teacher and I think having interactive videos is crucial to helping the young students learn. They can stay more involved and focus on the subject matter. Songs are also a great way for students to understand topics because it can have a catchy beat that can allow the students to remember certain concepts. I also believe in hands-on activites to help the students learn. Experiements and activities that allow the students to be engaged with the scientific topic will help them learn easier. Early childhood students tend to have low attention spans so having activities that will keep the students invested will help them learn certain topics better. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers