Forums

Forums / STEM / Remote Learning + STEAM

STEM

Remote Learning + STEAM

Author Post
Annie Place Annie Place 450 Points

Hello STEAM Educators,

My name is Annie Place, and I am a preservice teacher from Wartburg College. I have a presentation coming up about remote learning that I will be teaching to my fellow preservice teacher. I have been working on it for a while now, but I am almost feeling like “remote learning” and all the tools out there are becoming old news. What have educators found lately that is NEW and FRESH and will engage my students with STEAM and will teach my classmates something they do not already know? Let me know if anyone has any ideas! I would love to open up the conversation and hear what other educators have found that has been working for remote learning and what has not been working? What tools are “must haves”? What apps should we try out?   

Abigail Brang Abigail Brang 610 Points

Hi Annie! I'm doing my pre-student teaching at Penn State! I am actually working on a virtual STEAM lesson right now also! We had just gotten sort of a run through on how to work with the site Nearpod, not sure if you're using that! I really enjoyed it and I know that there a bunch of tutorials online and it's extremely interactive through the students' devices and you can control it from where you are also. They can interact through their personal device or use the smart/promethean board if the school you're at has that! I am trying to figure out a way to work it into the STEAM lessson, but I know there is a way! The lesson I am doing is revolving around the students making a web out of a paper plate and string and trying to catch the objects with it. It involves a halloween component as well as gravity! I was going to utilize the drawing mode and have them draw their ideas and brainstorming ideas and post it to the 'community corkboard'. I think it works to have them appreciate their work and also collaborate with other students! I hope this helps, good luck!!

Annie Place Annie Place 450 Points

Hi Abigail, This is an amazing idea! Thank you so much for sharing! I will have to check out Nearpod right away, and I love the Halloween and brainstorming connection as well. Thank you again!  

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers