Forums

Forums / Evaluation and Assessment / Scientific and Engineering Practices in a Digital Classroom

Evaluation and Assessment

Scientific and Engineering Practices in a Digital Classroom

Author Post
Jacob Nichols Jacob Nichols 255 Points

In recent times how have you been able to emphasize student engagement with the material via a digital mediascape?

I have always been of the opinion that hands-on experience is the best method of engagement in life sciences. How have you been able to substitute these 'wet lab' types of experiences for your students despite the need to do it in the form of distance learning?

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

I use mail-order lab kits. This worked AWESOME ... until COVID. Disruptions to the supply chain have resulted in shipping delays of up to 2 months. In a 9 week course, this just isn't viable. I'm not sure what we will do moving forward. I've published on this topic. I welcome any questions or discussion:

Christine Jestel Christine Jestel 10 Points

Good question.  I am going back in the fall and am considering video clips of experiments that we would have done in class.  This way students can at least see the experiment, record data, analyze it and form conclusions. Unfortunately, the hands on portion is still going to be lacking, which is part of what the students love.  I don't feel that it is appropriate to expect students to perform experiments at home, even if it is kitchen chemistry....  At least with videos they can still see the experiment.  

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers