Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Enough Time for Teaching Material

Elementary Science

Enough Time for Teaching Material

Author Post
Elaine Thomas Elaine Thomas 1525 Points

One of the things I fear as a pre professional teacher is that I won't be able to teach everything I wanted in a short amount of time. Do you carry the material you weren't able to teach to the next day?

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

As a teacher, you'll come to understand the difference between a class period and a lesson. Some lessons may take part of a class period, while other lessons may extend over several class periods. So I would definitely continue a lesson from one day to the next, being sure to review what the students did in the previous day. And remember that what students learn is more important that what the teacher is able to "cover." Mary B.

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Elaine, Mary B. is right on. I have begun to think about instruction as "instructional sequences"" rather than individual lessons. With some concepts, a day may be enough depending on how much time you have for science, while other concepts might need an instructional sequence of 2, 3 -5 days. Although , I would love to take credit for developing that thinking, it came from the brain of someone I highly respect Roger Bybee. If you ant to learn more about instructional sequences, you should check out Roger's upcoming book "Translating the NGSS for Classroom Instruction" Hope this is helpful. Kathy

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

I agree with everyone that you will have times when it is necessary to carry things over to the next day or even several days. It you get in a situation where you do not have time to teach something you feel is really necessary, send it home with students to pursue it further. Not all students will do so, but those who are interested will continue at home.

Laura Maricle Laura Maricle 1745 Points

It seems as if there is never enough time to complete what we set out to do. I carry my lessons over to the next day if required. Sometimes the concept can't be covered in one day, sometimes the students don't fully understand, and I reteach in another way to ensure that all of them are understanding and learning.

Laura Maricle Laura Maricle 1745 Points

It seems as if there is never enough time to complete what we set out to do. I carry my lessons over to the next day if required. Sometimes the concept can't be covered in one day, sometimes the students don't fully understand, and I reteach in another way to ensure that all of them are understanding and learning.

Christina Perez Christina Perez 1580 Points

Hello Everyone, As a future elementary teacher I fear that I wont have enough time to teach my materials to my students. If I move to quickly and move on with my next concept, I am scared my student will not understand the material, or fall behind. If you fall behind on your lesson do you move on with the next subject or do you take as much as you need to teach your lesson, so your students understand the concept?

Emilia Centeno emilia Centeno 1125 Points

Hello everyone, I have read everyone comments and enjoyed reading tips for my future classroom. I have noticed when completing my field experience hours that a lot of the times, time is everything and I have seen many teachers run out of time when teaching their lessons. For my future classroom I will definitely take into consideration that even if I run out of time, I should always return to it the next day or later on to reassure myself that my students have fully understood the lesson. Thank you all for the great tip.

Catherine Ruiz Catherine Ruiz 1985 Points

Hello to all, I have read everyone's posts and I appreciate all of your inputs and enjoyed reading your suggestions. I will take all of this into consideration for when I do become a teacher in the future. In my field hours, I see the teacher taking on so many different tasks, and she tells me often she has to revisit the material again the next class because there is not enough time in the day to do it all.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers