Forums

Forums / Physical Science / Reflection on Virtual Field Trips Article

Physical Science

Reflection on Virtual Field Trips Article

Author Post
David Thurlow David Thurlow 500 Points

Virtual Field Trips: Pivoting Cross-Curricular Experiential Learning to an Online PlatformBy Heather McPherson, Gregory Frank, Rebecca Pearce, and Ernest Hoffman

'The longer students remain in a distance learning environment, the more difficult it becomes to maintain student engagement'
I have experienced this first hand and look forward to hear the strategies that this article suggest to maintain student engagement.

Greg lead the 'field trip design, storyboarding, experts scouting and onboarding, visual media production, preparation of cross-disciplinary teacher support material, sign-in materials, and interactions setup for participating classes.' 
Who would have known that there were so many important steps involved in creating a quality field trip?

Two different field trips are referenced in this article. The planning for the field trip goes in depth on a lot of different specifics on the trip. This type of field trip seems to be planned with high school in mind. Something that is a pro and con of virtual field trips is that many businesses or operations might commit to a virtual field trip over a real-life one. Also, a lot less work goes into the logistical side of the field trip on the teachers part. A con of virtual field trips is that I think that students gets a lot less out of it because they are just watching a screen.

Even though it is a virtual experience, much can still be done to make the field trip a more interactive experience with a lot of communication between the students and the person on sight. The teacher made sure to come up with a list of questions from the students and it appears that the employees on sight were very interactive.

While this resource does provide a lot of valuable information as a case study, I don't think that it would be the most helpful to give teachers ideas for how to plan their own virtual field trip.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers