Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / 5-E Lesson Plan

Elementary Science

5-E Lesson Plan

Author Post
Meagan Ahl Meagan Ahl 320 Points

Hi guys! I'm writing my first 5-E Lesson Plan about either weather, the water cycle, or the movement of the stars. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :) Best, Meagan 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

What is your time line? What grade level? I have a couple of ideas just let me know the details.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Meagan, Good luck with the lesson planning! Depending on which content you decide to cover, there are lots of examplars to refer to to give you ideas. Most all of the Science and Children journal articles written in the last two or three years are written in the 5 E inquiry lesson plan format. Plus the Learning Center has SciGuides for most of the major content categories filled with lesson plan ideas. Another idea is to look at the bottom of the standards page of the DCI (disciplinary core ideas) at NGSS@NSTA. There are new lesson being added weekly to give teachers ideas of some lessons for that specific content. Let us know what you decide to hone in on. Perhaps we can be of any more specific help. Good luck! Carolyn

Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

Here are some resources from the Wayne Co. RESA that you may find useful to complete your task: http://www.resa.net/curriculum/curriculum/science/professionaldevelopment/ngss-pd/demension1/5-e-learning-cycle-model-resources/

Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

And a listing of many specific examples: http://www.resa.net/curriculum/curriculum/science/professionaldevelopment/ngss-pd/lesson-plans-exploring-ngss/

Angela Ayala Angela Ayala 1315 Points

An activity that I have seen to be really popular with the water cycle is the plastic ziplog bag with water in it and drawings of the watercylce in the outside. At the school I am student teaching in, I noticed that the science teachers taped the plastic bags near their classroom windows. Recently, in my science class we presented our 5E lessons and a classmate heated up the water to speed up the process and worked really well!

Karina Penate Karina Penate 10955 Points

Hey Meagan! Always some things to consider as part of the 5 E lesson plan: what do you want students to know? How will you know they know it? What will you do to get them there? Answering these three questions will direct your lesson planning and will allow little room for going off on a tangent! Also, do you understand or anticipate what student misconceptions will be?How will you address these misconceptions? If you want to do a lesson on the water cycle, maybe you want to give some background information on solids, liquids, and gases and review each stage of the cycle and what state of matter it may be. Distinction of these topics will address these misconceptions, and will allow students to make connections in their learning!

Hi Pamela! I have about two weeks to complete my lesson plan. The grade level for this lesson is 4th grade. I greatly appreciate your help and advice!! :) Meagan

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Sure, Meagan. I'm still not sure of how long the lesson will be. Is it a one class lesson, one week, or one unit? Which are of science are you covering? For example, if I need to cover environments, and how people affect an animal's habitat, I would look at the GLE's that are related to that area. (I live in Louisiana and we follow common core except in science and social studies.) I use Backwards Design to determine what students should be able to know and do at the end of the unit or lesson. Then I figure out how to make it connect to something they already know and come up with an engaging opening to the lesson. I also create a rough draft of how I will assess students. When we work on something that is as in depth as environmental science, I want to give them a variety of assessments and give them the information in smaller chunks. Can you give me more information so we can narrow down what you need?

Thank ya'll so much for being so willing to help me! So we must write a 5-E lesson plan for one of the standards (our professor gave us a list of the standards he would like us to use). Within our lesson, we must incorporate two different forms of technology (PowerPoint, video, etc.). We must also include a graphic organizer in our lesson at some point. The required components of the lesson plan are: Title Standard, Conceptual Understanding, and Performance Indicator Objective Materials Assessment – Formative or Summative (as part of any step) Procedure (This section should be broken up into the 5-E’s) Accommodations (Instructions should be added into each of the 5-E’s) I hope this clarifies what I am trying to do. :) Thanks again for all of your help and support!!! Best, Meagan

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

I am attaching an example of a 5E lesson plan that a student of mine created. Don't copy it, just use it as a guide to help you create on of your own in your instructor's formula. Betty

Deborah Pederson Deborah Pederson 1040 Points

Doing a 5E lesson plan myself. I'm learning that the kids are really learning better when we use this format. The coolest thing about this type of plan is that the kids are the ones who teach themselves really. I feel like the explore really gives them freedom to figure it all out on their own. Anyways, good luck with your plans!

Wendy Hernandez Wendy Hernandez 915 Points

Sounds like great, fun topics! Hope your lesson was engaging and great -Wendy Hernandez

Jacqueline Wilkey Jacqueline Wilkey 2110 Points

Good luck on the lesson plan ! With the water cycle I did a really cool demonstration for the students during the engage stage. I had each student mock the water cycle from a plastic bag that hung on the window. The students drew a cloud on the upper right hand corner and a sun on the left hand corner. The sun from the window made tiny water droplets on the bag where they were able to physically see the cycle and the water move. It was a great way for the students to actually see whats going on and not just imagine it in their heads.

Maried Rebon Maried Rebon 350 Points

Engage: [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]At the start of the lesson the teacher will show the entire class The Water Cycle Rap on YouTube [/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]Explore:[/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]The teacher will show the class an aquarium with soil, sand, landforms made out of clay, and water in a basin. The top of the aquarium will be covered with plastic wrap and it will be next to a hot/sunny window or a heat lamp acting as the sun. Each student will write a hypothesis of what they expect will happen and observe the aquarium throughout the day. They will watch for condensation on the plastic “sky” of the container and when enough moisture collects they will examine the precipitation fall onto the landforms. They will review their hypothesis and determine whether or not their educated guess was correct. [/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]Next, students will partner up and complete the Raining Cotton Balls activity where they will make predictions, drop water onto a cotton ball cloud, and determine how many drops it takes to make it “rain”. [/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]Students will explore and observe the aquarium and write a hypothesis of what they expect will happen to the water basin and landforms inside the aquarium.[/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]Students will collaborate with their partner and work together in making predictions, finding the difference in their predictions and the number of actual water drops it took to make it rain, and complete the recording sheet.[/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]Explain:[/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]Have a class discussion [/font][/size][size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]about the water cycle and the four different stages. [/font][/size][size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]Students will have the opportunity to share their findings from the Raining Cotton Balls activity and explain which part of the water cycle they were demonstrating.[/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]Elaborate: [/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]The teacher will number off the class into seven groups to read the Water Cycle Readers Theater Script aloud. [/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]Students will read aloud their part in the Water Cycle Readers Theater Script and learn more about the water cycle in an interactive and fun way![/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]Evaluation:[/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]Students will be given the Water Cycle Assessment. Students can only choose one from each category: [/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT][b]Knowledge:[/b][/font][/size] ___[size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]Define the terms evaporation, condensation, and precipitation. Tell where the water cycle gets its energy.[/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]___Define the term water cycle and draw a picture of the water cycle labeling each stage. [/font][/size] [b]Comprehension:[/b] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]___Write a paragraph that explains how the water cycle works on earth. Use all water cycle terms in your response.[/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT][b]Application:[/b][/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]___Write a paragraph explaining how the water cycle works in your front yard. [/font][/size] [size=3][font=TimesNewRomanPSMT]Hope this helps![/font][/size]

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers