Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / "The Sixth E" by William Thornburgh, Justin McFadden, and Brian Robinson

Next Generation Science Standards

"The Sixth E" by William Thornburgh, Justin McFadden, and Brian Robinson

This topic discusses these resources

Author Post
Taylor Nigh Taylor Nigh 840 Points

As a future teacher who, to be completely honest, was not always the best student in science throughout school, the thought of incorporating engineering into a 5E lesson was completely overwhelming. However, after reading this article, I am feeling a little more confident and a lot more relieved. I learned through reading this article that the engineering practices that are stated in the NGSS are basic skills that students can develop to think like an engineer. So, instead of teaching how to build things and do mathematics, we are actually teaching our students skills that real scientists and engineers use daily; to be critical thinkers. In order to this, it is important that we create our lessons to not only include engineering practices, but to also be hands on and engaging, allow students to openly communicate their thoughts and ideas with their peers, and be able to connect the lesson to real world problems. By doing so, students are showing that they can see and understand the problem and then are able to find a solution using the information they know. This is a skill that engineers use in their everyday work. This article really helped me learn what implementing NGSS engineering practices into the classroom actually meant. I understand now, the the ultimate goal is to get students to make connections and think like an engineer. Additionally, it is importnat that students are taught that there is not just one step-by-step way to solve a problem. Therefore, students should be working on coming up with different designs and solutions to problem solve. I think that it is so important for future teachers, like me, to continue to do research on topics that we may be unsure of in order to be the most effective science teacher we can be in the classroom and promote all students' academic success. 

Elizabeth Ricke Elizabeth Ricke 343 Points

Hi Taylor,

Thank you for sharing this article as it was very interesting to read. I completely agree that adding engineering seems a bit overwhelming, but the importance and the benefits from adding engineering are amazing! Students will be able to learn in so many ways, leading to academic success. I also think that adding engineering, or other important concepts, could really benefit how students learn and strike some different interests along the way. We should prepare our students for the future, incorporating different things, like engineering, does that. I love the idea of students being rounded academically, as different concepts relate. Thank you for sharing this article! 

William Thornburgh William Thornburgh 895 Points

Engineering doesn't have to be scary!  Just keep the students involved with the SEPs, be hands on, and have fun!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers