Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / hands on simulations providing STEM- Challenger center

Earth and Space Science

hands on simulations providing STEM- Challenger center

Author Post
Natalie Van Amstel Natalie Van Amstel 1165 Points

My science methods class for our Elementary Education degree visited our local Challenger Center and completed the hands-on learning simulation that my 5th grade daughter will go do on a field trip in a couple of weeks, and it was a lot of fun! I think that having your students do field trips like this one helps to make them way more interested in the subject, as well as bringing it to a completely different level of understanding. My daughter's class has been learning and working all year in a binder on related materials that will help them to grasp the concepts even further (while building excitement). They also had to complete their top three " job application" writing assignments, which I think was a really cool way to incorporate a persuasive writing piece while allowing them to voice their interest in the positions that the teacher will ultimately select when placing them in teams. I highly recommend taking your class to one of these centers. I also take my Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, and my children attend summer camps there, as well. Find your local Challenger center: http://www.challenger.org/

Mary Gonzalez Mary Gonzalez 555 Points

Thank you for your suggestion and for posting the link. I can not wait to look into it. I agree, field trips are a way of making students become more interested in the subject.

Robin Willig Robin Willig 5625 Points

The job application piece is brilliant! Students need to see the importance of written communication in science.

Natalie Van Amstel Natalie Van Amstel 1165 Points

I agree! I also think it will make the "job" (Space weather consultant, doctor, etc.) feel even more real to them after going through this process.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers