Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Science in the News

General Science and Teaching

Science in the News

Author Post
Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

That's a good one, Tina.
I was watching NOVA earlier this week, and it was about Otzi the iceman. The 5000 year old mummy's life story, as being written through scientific study and testing, is very engaging and has connections to so many scientific concepts: Forensic science, NOS, problem-solving, anatomy and physiology, and archeology to name a few. Here is a link to the video and article 'The Iceman's Last Meal'.
Carolyn

Kelly Amendola Kelly Amendola 10320 Points

I'm teaching DNA and I saw an article that I thought about using in the classroom. It was about bigfoot and how the scientists used DNA to determine if big foot was actually real. I don't know where I found the article though. The one class really enjoyed it.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Kelley, I found one of the Big Foot DNA articles at http://news.discovery.com/human/genetics/bigfoot-genetic-test-121127.htm Scientists are refuting it, but it would make a great discussion topic for students.

Kendra Young Kendra Young 17180 Points

This one was so outlandish I had to re-read the subtitle several times. I could see middle schoolers having a field day with this one...and it's a perfect lesson in microbiology that definitely hits close to home.

But it's not for the squeamish.

Fecal Transplants Cure Intestinal Infections

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers