Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Tinkering Benefits in the Classroom

Elementary Science

Tinkering Benefits in the Classroom

This topic discusses these resources

Author Post
Alexis Swearingin Alexis Swearingin 4168 Points

After reading the article, I was very interested in the term 'tinkering'. I related to the article very much, as my grandpa is an engineer and is the first to repurpose an item that causes all of us to roll our eyes. However, just as the article said, 'Tinkerers see possibilities beyond the prescribed or conventional use.' This is an important opportunity to allow all students to engage in because it creates outside-the-box thinkers. One question I have, is how can I as a teacher include stations or areas for students to do this and what does that look like? I love this article and the phrase 'tinkering'.

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Alexis -- I love the idea of 'tinkering' too! Here is a thought, based on a professional development project I was in but could easily be adapted for students. Each team of 3-4 teachers received a box of common materials (rubber bands, a cork, craft sticks, plastic bottles, balloons, paper clips, marbles, wooden blocks, tape, and more). General supplies were available (gluesticks, rulers, a stapler, etc.). The teams had a given amount of time to develop a model using any or all of the materials, but all lessons had to incorporate the cork as the secret ingredient. No two projects were alike!

To adapt for students, you could require 'inventions' that demonstrate student learning of topics such as Newton's Laws. You could add an option allowing written requests justifying additional materials. Include a rubric and time for students to demonstrate their work and provide an illustrated written description.

You might have to use several class periods, but this time is well-spent, as you observe what students have learned conceptually as well as their creativity, ability to work together, and use of problem-solving strategies.

--Mary B

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers