Forums

Forums / Evaluation and Assessment / Best Ways to Assess Student Remotely

Evaluation and Assessment

Best Ways to Assess Student Remotely

Author Post
Grant Meth Grant Meth 410 Points

Hello all,

My name is Grant Meth and I am a 3rd year preservice teacher at Wartburg College. I am majoring in PE but I am also getting an endorsement in secondary science. I have had a question on my mind recently that pertains to remote assessment. My only experience with remote assessments has been in the traditional form as a quiz or test online, just like we would do in class. I shared in a class discussion recently that I think remote learning provides a great opportunity for creative projects like a short film to be used for assessment. Someone else shared that students could make a website about the topic that they are assessed on. I was wondering if anyone would like to share any ways that they have been assessing their students during this time of remote learning? 

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

I use a 'Chemistry in the Real World' activity for my students. It really is a DIY experience. Some deliverables students have crafted include videos, podcasts, and infographics. It is much more fun to grade than reading 35 reports! In the era of paper mills, I love the uniqueness and creativity of alternative assessments! In mine, students are required to make connections to the course content, making an assessment of mastery quite straightforward for me! 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers