Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Teaching NGSS K-5 in Elementary School

Next Generation Science Standards

Teaching NGSS K-5 in Elementary School

Author Post
Kathy Renfrew Kathleen Renfrew 37148 Points

NSTA is sponsoring a series of web seminars just for K 5 educators. The Next Generation Science Standards while exciting and offering a world of opportunities for instruction and learning are much different than any other science standards of the past. I am honored to be collaborating with two AMAZING educators, Carla Zembal-Saul and Mary Starr to create and present a series . We are hoping the web seminars are the beginnings of new collaboration with K-5 educators from all over the world, the start of an online professional learning community. Kathy

Carla Zembal-Saul, Mary Starr and myself are collaborating with NSTA to offer a series of web seminars around NGSS in Elementary School. Our first web seminar is on September 17th and we are starting with Kindergarten, the grade where students come into our classrooms with open minds, bursting with creativity and questions and loving everything to do with science. The content focus of this web seminar will be on Weather and Patterns Over Time.

I have the beginnings of a professional collection of learning resources that I will attach here. Later a full collection will be shared.

Please begin the conversation here in the forums and then join us on the September 17th. Our goals include developing a professional partnership, learning community that will continue here in the Learning Center and beyond.

I am posting this in multiple forums to get the most exposure.

Kathy

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Kathy, Thanks so much for letting us know about the Elementary level NGSS web seminars. As we continue to explore the NGSS at the elementary level, I'm excited to learn more about how to implement the new standards into classrooms. I'm curious if anyone has already started implementing the NGSS into their classroom, and if so what are some of your thoughts on using the NGSS in elementary classrooms. Maureen

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Kathy, Thanks so much for letting us know about the Elementary level NGSS web seminars. As we continue to explore the NGSS at the elementary level, I'm excited to learn more about how to implement the new standards into classrooms. I'm curious if anyone has already started implementing the NGSS into their classroom, and if so what are some of your thoughts on using the NGSS in elementary classrooms. Maureen

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

There will be a super webinar on this soon with our very own Kathy as one of the presenters. Register here: http://learningcenter.nsta.org/products/symposia_seminars/NGSS/webseminar43.aspx

LaToya Pugh LaToya Pugh 6670 Points

I registered for all the sessions and am so excited about these webinars. Hoping to learn more as we begin to role out NGSS in our district.

I am excited too!!I am looking forward to learning from all the participants as this series rolls out. I hope you will share the information about the web seminar series with all your colleagues. Kathy

Coming Soon ..Grade 1..What do 1st graders Planning and Carrying Out an Investigation about sound waves look like and sound like? Come to the grade 1 web seminar on October 22nd and collaborate with Carla-Zembal Saul,Mary Starr,myself and other colleagues. [b]Waves are introduced in first grade in the topics of both light and sound. We will highlight the instruction students will need in order to plan and conduct investigations to provide evidence that vibrating materials can make sound and that sound can make materials vibrate. 1-PS4-1. We will use videos of actual classrooms to demonstrate that first graders can do very cool science. Using video examples, participants will be able to visualize the first graders in their school doing science around waves. [/b]

Carrie Vetrovsky Carrie Vetrovsky 520 Points

I am super pumped about this webinar as that is what I am teaching right now with Picture Perfect Science Lessons.

looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday.Please spread the word.

Kellie Ryan Kellie Ryan 330 Points

Can anyone offer offer mini power lessons for elementary science lab teachers that last approx. 30 mins, that are holistic, IB related and incorporate the NGSS (from K-5)? I'm hoping that we can deliver a mini curriculum for teachers who have elementary labs as we usually can't manage the continuity of the across the days and weeks like a homeroom teachers can. Our impact and standards have to be delivered and secured in a very short time each week.

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Kellie, Your situation creates an interesting dilemma. At this point in time, I am willing to say I do not think such labs exist and may not ever. But given all that, I wondered if there is any way you can connect your 30 minutes to what is ahppening in the classroom. I noticed the relationship with IB, so I am wondering if you could extend classroom science instruction?? I am also wondering if the teacher is engaging students with science, could you do engineering problems and/or challenges connected to an NGSS classroom. I tried to answer the question the best I could . I hope this is helpful. Kathy

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers