Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Teaching Science while Distance Learning

Elementary Science

Teaching Science while Distance Learning

Author Post
Kristy Garza Kristy Garza 200 Points

Hi, my name is Kristy Garza. I am a Interdisiplinary Studies with a Bilingual Certification major. I feel the students are amazed by what they can create, while still learning important insight on science/engineering technology. Due to covid, I feel the students won't get to experience these amaing things from distance learning. How can we help the students create things while learning from home? What type of activites would work best to ensure they are learning science adequately? How can we ensure we reach all students across their learning levels?

Geovanna Perez Geovanna Perez 440 Points

Hi Kristy! A way to help students create things while learning from home, is by providing at home investigations and experiments. You can provide experiments and activites that students can do at home, with things around the house they could use to conduct them. Activites that would work best could be where they have parent supervision while they conduct expermints, to ensure the students are learning science adequatly. Also, you can include a questionare after completing an experiment to check for their understanding. A way to ensure to reach all students across their learning levels, is to get to know your students. You can conduct a survey the first day of class, the questions can invlolve how to best accomadate students. Getting to know your students is key, in order to understand how to reach their learning levels. You can also have one on one virtual meetings to see where your students are at and to check their understaning. 

Jack Smith Jack Smith 10 Points

During remote learning at the end of last year, I had my students use household objects to model social distancing, and the solar system.  I sent then on sacavenger hunts (either outside or on the internet) to show examples of weathering, erosion, and deposition, examples of the properties of matter, changes in matter, and the difference in items density (more dense, less dense). I also had them go to zoo and aquarium websites to watch the animal cams and observe animal behaviors and adaptations. I hope these suggestions help, the students seemed to enjoy these activities, and I had 97% of my students participate.  I also offered them many choices so they could pick the items they wanted to complete. On the scavenger hunts, I would have more options than I required them to complete.  This was how I incorporated the choice aspect. 

Lessly Torres Lessly Torres 170 Points

This is very intresting information. I always wondered how online studnets got to do a hands on science experiment. It is very intesting to see how teahcers now use all technology resources to ensure that students are learning there best from home. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers