Forums

Elementary Science

Fossils

Author Post
Emily Majano Emily Majano 3555 Points

One of my lesson plans was on fossils! It is a fun activity to do with the children because you can actually make a fossil with them by using plaster. What i did was basically put a toy dinosaur into plaster and let it dry for a day. Then you take off the toy dinosaur the next day and you are left with the dinosaurs print looking like a fossil. This is a fun hands on activity that can be done in class.

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

What about taking this a step further and actually using the mold, as paleontologists would? When they are in the field they make a mold of their find, bring the mold back and then they are able to make casts of the fossils. Sometimes, we see the copies or the casts of the fossil in places like museums because the fossils may be too rare or fragile to bring to an exhibit.

Mallory Van Winkle Mallory Van Winkle 3190 Points

Wow this is super fun! I'm sure your students loved that! And thanks for the comment from Dupre, that would be another really fun activity. After they make casts of the fossils they could set up like a museum and show their peers what they found and made!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers