Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Community Garden

New Teachers

Community Garden

Author Post
Sarah Estakhri Sarah Estakhri 1400 Points

When you work at a Title I school, who could help get a grant to build a classroom or community garden? Especially if your personal and school budget's are limited.

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I've had school gardens for years. The first place to look is your local Home Depot and Lowes or any other nurseries nearby. Contact the Kiwanas Club, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, local garden clubs, a local university, high school students in need of community service hours. Create a plan with your students, ask parents for help. Reach out to the community. Have a vision of what it should look like and how it can grow. Set up a Google Alert for community garden grants or school grants. https://www.gardenabcs.com/grants.html There may be parents or grandparents with gardening skills and knowledge. Good luck to you.

Kelly Foreiter Kelly Foreiter 508 Points

Hello Sarah. I am a student and posting in the forums as a mandatory assignment... I have no knowledge of the answer you seek. However, I love the outdoors, and gardening is something I would love to do with my students. My question to you is have you made the specific plans of your idea so you can give (whoever it is) an estimate of costs? I would even go to suggest that in light of helping teach kids about being green, you could use many recycled materials (also reducing costs) If you have plans, would you mind sharing them? I am super interested and hope someone answers this question.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers