Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Learning about science

Elementary Science

Learning about science

Author Post
Anallancy Rubio Anallancy Rubio 500 Points

When it comes to learning about science, is it always the better option to do hands-on activities with your students or can you teach certain criteria just through instruction and group work?

Matt Bobrowsky Matt Bobrowsky 6410 Points

While you CAN teach with direct instruction and without hands-on activities, much more learning will occur -- and be retained -- if students are actively engaged, for example with Phenomenon-Based Learning and the accompanying exploration and discovery that students will experience.

Kennedy Hill Kennedy Hill 200 Points

For science based activites it is so hard to teach everything students need to learn. By doing hands on activites this allows students to have more of a free range of learning opportunites. Students can explore and get creative. Students will probably learn more that way as well.

James Arita James Arita 590 Points

From my experience it's yes and yes. certain subjects of science can not be hands-on such as astronomy. It is helpful for the students to work through instruction and share it with hands-on to get an actual experience. 

> ...certain subjects of science can not be hands-on such as astronomy.

On the contrary, I do many hands-on activities related to astronomy. 

James Arita James Arita 590 Points

In the aspect of preparing a hands-on activity, how would you go about preparing formative assessments during the activity?

Methods for assessment during hands-on activities are discussed in the Introduction to NSTA's elementary 'Gadgets and Gizmos' book. 

http://www.nsta.org/store/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9781936959389

The reply postings are right on target!  Think of the Chinese proverb, most often subscribed to the ancient Chinese philosopher Confucius when he wrote: 'I hear and I forget/I see and I remember/I do and I understand[.]' covers this.  Confucius related the acquisition of understanding and knowledge directly to living and experiencing. 'I do and I understand.'

We all know that we really learn something when we have to teach it to others, so provide as many experiences for students to share their thinking with others.  This not only deepens science content but also strengthens language skills or speaking and listening. 

The school day is so limited, be sure to use the time wisely to basically get the biggest bang for your buck (a current idiom).  How can you make the learning stick?  

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers