Forums

Forums / STEM / STEM in the classroom

STEM

STEM in the classroom

Author Post
Karen Ibarra Karen Ibarra 310 Points

Hi, my name is Karen and I currently attend Dominican University. I am a senior and have about a semester left until I do my student teaching. In my observation hours I have noticed that elementary schools really do not get much time to even teach science. I have noticed that at most the students get is around twenty minutes to learn and then quickly it goes to another subject. I have two questions to ask, how can I incorporate STEM in a classroom? and what are some fun STEM activities for elementary students?

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Oh Karen, 

You have hit on a very important dilemma. How do elementary teachers find the time to teach meaningful, engaging science lessons when they have few opportunities built into their daily schedules?  One of the ways is to integrate the science content with reading, math, and writing assignments and learner objectives.  For example, when learning about different habitats and ecosystems in science, students might be asked to practice their informational writing skills.  The information gathering could include learning about the needs of organisms in order to thrive and survive in a given habitat. Math is even easier to integrate with science concepts since so many activities can include counting, collecting data, measuring, and justifying with evidence.  The NGSS@NSTA site provides several lesson samples for each of the Disciplinary Core Ideas already aligned with Common Core subjects and the Science and Engineering Practices.  You might also try Seimens STEM Day for additional ideas.

What are others' ideas for STEM activities for elementary students?

Sincerely,

Carolyn Mohr

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers