Forums

Forums / New Teachers / balancing science instruction

New Teachers

balancing science instruction

Author Post
Katherine Ort Katherine Ort 290 Points

As a PK-4 Teacher candidate getting ready to student teach I find myself wondering about how to utilize the limited amount of time we as Elementary school teachers get alotted to teach science. Do we use technology in every science lesson? Focus on the hands on activities? Have any new, or seasoned, teachers faced this puzzling matter and if so, how did you come to establish a balance?

Gabe Kraljevic Gabe Kraljevic 4564 Points

Hello Katherine,

Great question!

Not all lessons require technology. As with anything, a teacher has to assess the best methods of how to teach a lesson and should not shoehorn technology – or anything else – into that lesson without thought or purpose.  I agree that our lessons should be authentic and allow students the freedom to explore hands-on without resorting to pre-made data or simulations. It is not the technology that is so important but how you use it.  You have to judge what is better for your students’ learning. 

Having said that, we have to remember that a thermometer is technology. So are cameras, sensors, meters, and so forth.  I would argue that technology is more than just computers, are very hands-on and should be utilized as much as possible.  What is more authentic: spending inordinate amounts of time hand-drawing graphs or charts of lab data; or using a spreadsheet to generate clean information and identify trends quickly? Should students draw pictures or take photographs and videos?  There are excellent apps that allow students to share ideas and communicate their understanding.  Cell phones have become incredible tools for science.  

As John Dewey said, 'If we teach today as we taught yesterday, we rob our children of tomorrow.'

Hope this helps!

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I second what Gabe said. Science is all around us and there are many encounters we can highlight with children. If we think about simple machines/forces and motion; when we open a door, the hinges are simple machines that allow us to do work- the pushing or pulling of the door to enter or exit. Force is used to push the door, where does the force come from? How does this apply to other every day objects? A wagon, a toy car, an old school pencil sharpener? I always have those in my class so students can see how technology has changed over time. Even if it isn't a full fledged, lesson planned, rubric checking science lesson, steal those few moments as you see them happening. It piques children's curiosity. It enables them to experience and explore a concept. They will have questions! When they ask questions it shows they are trying to make sense of the phenomenon and assimilate what they are discovering. The more you can highlight those science moments and connect to the real world around children, the better foundation they will have. Based on your question, you are obviously passionate about science. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers