Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Plant Growth Experiment

Early Childhood

Plant Growth Experiment

Author Post
Melissa Link Melissa Link 10 Points

I am planning to have the children investigate what happens to the growth of a plant with little water, a plant with little sunlight and compare to a plant that gets both water and sunlight. What would be the best way to measure growth that my youngest children could do as well?

Natashia Silva Natashia Silva 445 Points

Hi Melissa! I am a student teacher in a first grade classroom. We are coming up in a few weeks doing the life cycle of plant. We are doing something very similar. What we are doing is having them draw and write what they see everyday in a science journal. I do not know what grade you are teaching, but if it is younger than first grade than you can have them just draw what they see everyday, like keeping a log. I hope this helps! Happy planting!

Tracy Galle Tracy Galle 660 Points

Hi Melissa, I am a student teacher currently in my first semester of student teaching. As I read your post I wondered what grade you were teaching? I would have to say that this could be a great opportunity to introduce measurements with a ruler. Or if the children are too you young to use the ruler, you could have them measure the growth by comparing it's size to something they are familiar with. For instance it is two erasers tall or 1 crayon. Really any object in the classroom that they are familiar with can be used to make a comparison. I also like the idea of having them draw what they notice/see. The can note any changes since the previous observation as well. Thanks and good luck.

Katie Brkich Katie Brkich 2995 Points

I agree - use everyday objects for non-standard measurement if they are too young to understand rulers. I find the big unifix cubes work well for this, as they understand conceptually more cubes equals more growth. Depending what you are growing, they can also count the number of leaves or number of shoots (of grass, corn, etc).

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers