Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Upcoming Teacher

Early Childhood

Upcoming Teacher

Author Post

I am a year away from graduating with my Bachelor in Bilingual education and i would like some tips that can help me be a little less shy. I know that when it comes to teaching you have to be outgoing and not be afraid to talk, so I have a lot to work on. 

Aleeya Cheney Aleeya Cheney 610 Points

During your student teaching, take advantage of it. Ask your teacher for more experience early on and you will feel more comfortable the more practice you get. Don't fret, your end goal is to build positive relationships with your students while also being genuine. They see right through you if you aren't being yourself. That being said, sometimes you have to fake it until you make it. If you lean more on the introverted spectrum, that is okay, you can still engage students and be a wonderful teacher. Take initiative to talk to new students and come up with talking points so you feel comfortable with the students early on. Also, try to learn all of your students names in the first week. Make it a priority to know at least something about each student and write it down if you have to. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Aleeya Cheney Aleeya Cheney 610 Points

During your student teaching, take advantage of it. Ask your teacher for more experience early on and you will feel more comfortable the more practice you get. Don't fret, your end goal is to build positive relationships with your students while also being genuine. They see right through you if you aren't being yourself. That being said, sometimes you have to fake it until you make it. If you lean more on the introverted spectrum, that is okay, you can still engage students and be a wonderful teacher. Take initiative to talk to new students and come up with talking points so you feel comfortable with the students early on. Also, try to learn all of your students names in the first week. Make it a priority to know at least something about each student and write it down if you have to. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Kristin Preast Kristin Preast 1670 Points

Try to get out of your comfort zone and be the fun teacher. But do keep your boundaries and rules managed and under control to prevent misbehavior. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers