Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / 4th grade science lesson

Early Childhood

4th grade science lesson

Author Post
Lucila Martinez Lucila Martinez 1165 Points

Hello everyone! I have been working on a science lesson focusing on the TEKS about physical and chemical changes. I am in a 4th grade classroom and knowing my students a lot better at this point I know I would most likely need to do two separate days to introduce the two topics and another day for their differences. Does anyone have any advice on coming up with an effective lesson plan, or fun activities to implement in my lesson? Any help especially with fun ways to introduce physical change would be greatly appreciated! I want my students to have as much hands-on and discussion as possible. I really want to introduce them to the topic but give them the opportunity to explore and learn on their own as well to really make their own connections!

Michael Reed Michael Reed 2065 Points

This was really helpful. thanks

Larosa Etienne larosa etienne 1220 Points

Whenever I'm trying to come up with a lesson, I find the brainstorming process to be effective. Maybe you could make a concept diagram to help you map out the lesson. Good luck!

Claire Ainsworth Claire Ainsworth 705 Points

one of my friend is designing a similar lesson. She decided to teach states of matter through an activity with marbles that represent particles in solids, liquids and gases. First she starts with a box filled with marbles to demonstrate a solid, then some are taken out to represent liquid and then even more are taken up to represent gases. Another way to do it would be to change the size of the box so students could see how the particles are more spread apart or more compacted together depending on the state of matter.

Arlyne Kotal Arlyne Kotal 1370 Points

Youtube SpanglerScienceTV -this guy always has some great science experiments for lesson and science fairs.

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10953 Points

Lucila, this is a great question to ask. You might also post it in the Elementary forum. Early childhood extends into 3rd grade but not beyond. Thanks for getting us thinking!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers