Forums

Forums / STEM / STEM: The Design Loop

STEM

STEM: The Design Loop

Author Post
Makenzie Pigott Makenzie Pigott 40 Points

I am currently enrolled in a STEM college course. I have learned lots about Design Loops and the way they work. I would suggest for all teachers to consider teaching their students about design loops and even hanging pictures of the student's design loops around the classroom. I have created many, but am looking for a way to teach a fun lesson about a design loop. I was wondering if anyone had any fun tips that could get students involved and excited about learning about design loops?!

Ashley Hunter Ashley Hunter 50 Points

I am currently taking a STEM course as well, and we have worked on the design loop. Personally, I think that the more interactive your design loop is, the more excited they will be about it. If it is just something they write on, that may tend to be tedious. My design loop has things they can draw on and move. It differs between grades, but I think that most students enjoy the building process, so if you make sure to tell them how important the design loop is in the process, then they will respond better.

Amanda Champagne Amanda Champagne 220 Points

I would agree that getting kids working hands on makes all the difference. You can teach about the steps of the design loop all you want, but until students are actually doing something and thinking about the steps of the design loop as they do it, then I don't think it means much to them. Looking up group projects where students are given the question they need to answer and then follow those steps will help your students learn about those steps and the concept you are teaching.

Cortney Halfaday Cortney Halfaday 170 Points

I would have to agree with the idea of it being more than something they write on and making it interactive! On my design loop I created for my project, I tailored it to my interests and included an example on how I would use the design loop for making cupcakes! This took the loop out of the classroom and demonstrated how science can be used anywhere, you just have to talk about it and think about it! Also, creating different themed loops for each activity based on that lesson could be a real hit! Airplanes, cupcakes, basketball... The possibilities are endless!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers