Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / CER Framework Resources and Activities

General Science and Teaching

CER Framework Resources and Activities

Author Post
Patti Schaefer Patti Schaefer 2435 Points

Do you have a favorite resource or activity that helps students work with Claims-Evidence-Reasoning Framework for constructing Explanations? I am looking for suggestions for resources from ANY science discipline. I especially want resources for secondary level courses (6-12) but would be happy to receive suggestions for any level. Thanks for sharing!

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

The resource I have used a lot in my middle school classroom is “Supporting Grade 5-8 Students in Constructing Explanations in Science: The Claim, Evidence, and Reasoning Framework for Talk and Writing,” by Katherine L. McNeil and Joseph S. Krajcik, http://www.amazon.com/Supporting-Students-Constructing-Explanations-Science/dp/0137043457/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391733576&sr=8-1&keywords=claim+evidence+reasoning What I appreciate about this resource is the explanations are really easy to follow. The examples provide ideas on how to implement CER immediately. Within the resource are strategies, scenarios, student examples and clips of CER in actual classrooms.

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

I want to mention

I want to mention that there is also a book for younger students that digs into the C-E-R Framework called What's Your Evidence?: Engaging K-5 Children in Constructing Explanations in Science. I will highly recommend that book. I have read it multiple times.

Kathy

Kathryn Fleegal Kathryn Fleegal 1980 Points

Patti Here is a rubric that my school developed for use at a middle school level that you might find helpful.

Adaliz Gonzalez Adaliz Gonzalez 5032 Points

The American Museum of Natural History has a program called Urban Advantage which provides professional development to teachers in conducting scientific investigations in middle schools. Within their resources for teachers, they have templates for C-E-R, along with a generic rubric to assess as a formative assessment. The website to find this template is below: http://www.urbanadvantagenyc.org/www/urbanadvantage/site/hosting/IDD,%20DSET,%20Rubric/DSETDiagram-09-07-10.doc

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers