Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Benefits of Getting a Masters Degree in Education

New Teachers

Benefits of Getting a Masters Degree in Education

Author Post
Madison Lew Madison Lew 780 Points

Hi Everyone!

I'm currently a pre-service teacher at UH and will be graduating in the spring. Several of my mentor teachers and professors have encouraged me to get my masters after graduation, and with much thought, I've decided to pursue it. What are some of the benefits in getting a masters in education? What are the most common degree and certificate programs to take? Is there any other tips for an incoming graduate student? 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I have my masters in educational leadership. I wish I had done it sooner because then there would have been fewer qualified applicants when I applied for jobs in administration. However, being in an administrative position was not the only reason for the pursuit. Having a masters degree allowed me to apply for other positions that were not necessarily in the classroom and gave me a view from a different perspective. I'm back in a classroom this year after spending five years as a STEM teacher and then in a Lead Teacher role. It's nice to know that I can pursue leadership positions if something arises that appeals to me, but I am very happy where I am right now. 

Olivia Pfeifer Olivia Bradds 540 Points

I am currently in a Master's program at Wright State University in OH. I am excited to have my Master's before I start teaching but am worried it could actually make me less marketable...I have heard both pros and cons!

Jonathan Vineyard Jonathan Vineyard 1330 Points

I'm working on a Master's as well. I'm learning some things through the program but I worry that some of the work won't actually help me in the classroom. Is there anything in particular other people have benefitted from learning in their program? And are y'all planning to be classroom teachers like me rather than administrators?

Amy Kelley Amy Kelley 2420 Points

I am currenltly working on my Masters in Elementary Education.  This is not as specific as many other degrees.  I continued because I was just not ready to stop going to school when I graduated college.  I am not sure what I want to do with it, but I know that it will open more doors and make me more marketable when I get ready to possibly do something different than what I am currently doing.  My school district does give $500 extra for teachers who have their Masters degree.  The main benefits for me is that I am constantly having to learn.  I think this makes me a better teacher and greatly benefits my students.  I don't think that I will ever want to be an administrator.  I teach 7th grade math and love every minute of it.  

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers