Forums

Forums / New Teachers / First Day Rules and Procedures

New Teachers

First Day Rules and Procedures

Author Post
Amy Efird Amy Efird 1820 Points

Hello, my name is Amy Efird. I’m a senior at Henderson State University in Arkadelphia, Arkansas. I would love to teach kindergarten and plan on teaching in my hometown of Mount Ida. My question pertains to the different rules and procedures to use in my classroom. I would love to hear what others opinions are, and what works and doesn't work in the classroom. 

Mya Violet Mya Violet 660 Points

Hello Amy! 

As a daughter of a kindergarten teacher, I have gotten to have quite a bit of exposure to kindergarten. In her classroom, she has found that immediate consequences and the utilization of practicing correct behavior are the best tactics to use. Something that doesn't work as well for kindergarten is a complex behavior chart. In older grades, students can be given more responsibility for their behavior and they do a better job at monitoring it. Whereas in kindergarten things need to be the least complicated as possible. Something else to keep in mind is how important consistency is. The students are always watching their peers around them and picking up on what is going on. These students cling to consistency and thrive on routine. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers