Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Hurricanes, Earthquakes and Volcanoes, oh my!

Earth and Space Science

Hurricanes, Earthquakes and Volcanoes, oh my!

Author Post
Tonya VanDerlinde Tonya VanDerlinde 2040 Points

Hi everyone! I recall seeing a simulated inquiry based lesson about hurricanes a while back and I can't find the resource or lesson seed for it. Anyone recall this or do something similar? Next week, I'm teaching these three natural disasters and our county curriculum has students researching them in a book and taking notes... BORING! I want to do something hands on, maybe dedicate a day's teaching to each one in particular. For volcanoes maybe making a simulation with baking soda and vinegar, and so on. Any ideas are welcomed! Thanks!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Tonya,
You might find some ideas in some previous threads on weather for your hurricane lesson plans.
Here is one calledEarth and Space Science > student teacher needs help with weather and climate
Within that thread you will find links to other discussion threads as well like
Weather or Not
For earthquakes, etc:
Plate Tectonics and need ideas right away!
and
Earth and Space Science > Scientific Theory Lesson
Hope this helps.
Carolyn

Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

There is an excellent activity that has students map out lava flows using clay and baking soda - vinegar. It is from the NASA Exploring the Moon Teacher Guide.

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/docs/Map_Volcano.pdf

I have done this with kids at summer camp aged 8-14.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers