970x250 - Exploration Generation (Girl+Rocket)

Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / NSTA New Releases - Books for Elementary Kids

Elementary Science

NSTA New Releases - Books for Elementary Kids

Author Post

I am always looking for new books for young science students. Take a look at some of these titles. They might make good additions to your primary classroom library. http://www.nsta.org/store/new_releases.aspx [b]Dark as a Shadow: I Wonder Why[/b] By: Lawrence F. Lowery NSTA Kids Time for shadow play! After reading about how light and objects interact to create shadows, young children won’t be able to resist twisting, wiggling, bending, and shaking to see the phenomenon for themselves. To add to the enjoyment, Dark as a Shadow...   Grade Level: Elementary School [b]Light and Color: I Wonder Why[/b] By: Lawrence F. Lowery NSTA Kids This book unfolds as a series of observations about light, including where it comes from, how it bounces off of people and objects, and what we mean when we say the colors of a rainbow are the colors in light. Throughout the text, informal experiments...  Grade Level: Elementary School [b]Michael's Racing Machine: I Wonder Why[/b] By: Lawrence F. Lowery NSTA Kids While building a soapbox racing car, a pair of friends provide an easy-to-understand lesson in how simple machines are all around us, making our work more efficient. Michael and Luci show readers that a broom is a lever, nails are wedges, and a screwdriver...   Grade Level: Elementary School [b]Rubber vs. Glass: I Wonder Why[/b] By: Lawrence F. Lowery NSTA Kids A friendly debate leads twins Bill and Mary to compare rubber balls, rafts, and gloves with glass marbles, greenhouses, and jars, objects that at first seem very different. A field trip teaches them that both rubber and glass can bend, bounce, stretch,...  [view full summary] [b]Sounds Are High, Sounds Are Low: I Wonder Why[/b] By: Lawrence F. Lowery NSTA Kids Here’s humorous proof of just how fun it is to observe with your ears. A whimsical introduction to pitch and volume, this book practically begs young scientists to read it aloud. And why not? It’s the best way to compare the differences among a telephone’s... Grade Level: Elementary School [b]Next Time You See the Moon[/b] By: Emily Morgan NSTA Kids This fascinating book will stay with children every time they gaze up at the night sky. Through vivid pictures and engaging explanations, children will learn about many of the Moon’s mysteries: what makes it look like a silvery crescent one time and a...  

Audrey Perez Audrey Perez 3720 Points

These books will be so helpful in the planning of my future lessons. Thank you so much!

Jenny Hwang Jenny Hwang 4755 Points

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm also attaching some resources that lists some trade books to incorporate into science lessons.

Jessica McDaniel Jessica McDaniel 2440 Points

There is not enough time for science. Having books about science in the classroom library is a great idea. I look forward to seeing more suggestions from teachers.

Kathy Renfrew Kathleen Renfrew 35878 Points

Jessica, You are so very correct about instructional time for science. We need to help administrators and teachers understand that science can engage students in ALL content. When students are doing science, talking science, collecting data recording in science notebooks,etc, they are also doing language arts and mathematics. Kathy

Johany Serafin Johany Serafin 1755 Points

These are great books to use in the class. As a preservice teacher, I am thankful for the many resources here! Thank you!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers