Forums

Forums / STEM / STEAM in an ELA classroom

STEM

STEAM in an ELA classroom

Author Post
Chantel Smith Chantel Smith 1620 Points

I am teaching at a STEM school (this is the second year of transitioning to be a STEM school), but I teach reading this year rather than having a self-contained classroom. The program, new this year, is a pretty scripted program and "requires" about 50 minutes more time each day than I have with my students. I am looking for ideas as to how to create a STEAM reading classroom. Is simply working on discussions about and real life applications of the literature we read, trying to incorporate KLEWS charts, and using Chromebooks enough to be considered a STEM classroom?

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I am interested in learning more about your school and what qualities your school curriculum includes that differentiates it as a STEM school. Have you used Picture Perfect Science Lessons in the NSTA store? We used them to write STEM curriculum for 3rd and 4th grade. The books use trade books as a springboard for STEM challenges. Since you teach reading, this would be a great fit for you.

Beth Sommers Beth Sommers 4140 Points

Google "Novel Engineering" project by Tufts Univ. Kids read novels/books and engineer solutions for the characters. There are book recommendations and teaching guides so that you can teach the engineering design process through literacy.

Christine Bedwell Christine Bedwell 1605 Points

I can't wait to take a look at this site. Thanks!

Debra Shapiro Debra Shapiro 585 Points

See also the article 'Engineering Literary Solutions' from the February 2017 issue of NSTA Reports. It's on page 10 at http://static.nsta.org/pdfs/nstareports/nstareports201702.pdf.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers