Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Evaluating Instructional Materials

Next Generation Science Standards

Evaluating Instructional Materials

Author Post
Matt Bobrowsky Matthew Bobrowsky 6410 Points

Does anyone know of any rubrics for evaluating instructional materials relative to NGSS? Thanks, Matt

Kian Danaee Erica Danaee 3055 Points

According to the NGSS website, there is a rubric in the works for evaluating materials, though I'm not sure when it will be available. http://www.nextgenscience.org/equip-ngss-rubric-development

Greg Prater Greg Prater 150 Points

I am in chapter 4 of that book. It is well written, and I suggest buying it. One of the caveats I have been reminded of often is to be wary of anyone publishing products that say they are NGSS "ready", "aligned", or any other often used educational buzzword. we need to be cautious consumers and not jump at everything that touts itself as NGSS envisioned. To understate the obvious, these standards are SO different than anything most of are used to, that it will take dozens of hours of digging in to get to a point where we can at least start to incorporate bits and pieces into our teaching mindset. Rodger Bybee's books do help a lot. Our best resource, I feel through this, as I have been reminded(thanks cousin) is to really get to know the Framework (Harold Pratts readers guide is good for this as well) Good luck Greg Prater Science teacher Belfry HS Belfry, KY

Amy Troiano Amy Troiano 10 Points

At the NSTA National Conference I attended a session along the NGSS@NSTA strand. There we learned about a rubric that is being worked on. It is called the Equip Rubric and it is a rubric for determining the NGSS alignment of lesson plans, units and materials. This may be what you are looking for?

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers