Forums

Forums / STEM / Future Educator

STEM

Future Educator

Author Post
Angela Gomez Angela Gomez 190 Points

Hello, My name is Angela and I am currently in college to become an elementary school teacher. It has come to my attention while observing classrooms that there is not much involvement of the STEM field in the lower grade-level classrooms. I feel that that this should change because STEM is very interesting and children should have a chance to be exposed to it at a young age. My question is, How can I as a future teacher involve STEM in my classroom? 

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

Great question, Angela! My son is in Kindergarten so I've been curiously watching the topics he learns to see how they are integrating STEM into the curriculum. Here are some resources you may find helpful:

Lola Rubio Alberca Lola Rubio Alberca 475 Points

Hi Angela,

As future teachers, we need to eager and have the ability to support STEM learning during the early childhood and elementary education, but to be able to do so we need to be informed through instruction and professional training in order to have self-confidence and not let our personal negative assumptions regarding sciences affect children while teaching. Engaging in playful learning guided by students' sense of wonder and curiosity will lead to a deeper sciences understanding and greater learning process.

Lydia Coley Lydia Coley 685 Points

Hello Angela,

I agree with Lola. Students in the younger grades need to be engaged through playing learning guides. The activities in STEM should be interactive and relatable to the world around them. My best advice would be to get to know what your students are interested in learning and then incorporate that into the classroom!

Anne Marie Wotkyns Anne Marie Wotkyns 649 Points

Strive to use classic kids building toys like Legos, Lincoln Logs, blocks, etc.... You can ask around for donations of these, check out garage sales and thrift stores. Use story books to find 'problems' or 'challenges' students can solve by inventing and building.  Have fun!

Breeana Wolff Breeana Wolff 245 Points

After a lot of research with K-3 STEM lessons in my free time, I've noticed a lot of integration with children's literature and engineering. For example, if the anchor text is Three Little pigs, students can build their own houses with different materials. This can be done before the story, in between pages or after! As Anne Marie Wotkyns said above me, using stories to solve problems or challenges seems like an easy way to integrate STEM without a full lesson. 

Kayli Obrero Kayli Obrero 205 Points

I agree. I believe the best way to implement STEM in the classroom, especially lower elementary, is to make it relevent and interesting to them. As mentioned above, you can use blocks which are items they're already familiar with, or a story to help make connections for them. By scaffolding you are tapping into knowledge they already have of these items and building off of them.

Emma Kentner Emma Kentner 180 Points

I have been learning so much in my college STEM class about the importance of early integrated STEM concepts in the elementary curriculum. I think finding ways to make these concepts interesting and fun to students will greatly impact their memory and application of STEM ideas. My professor asked us on the first day of class to recall a lesson that we did in elementary school. Every answer was a project-based lesson with STEM concepts incorporated in some way. This spoke volumes to me on the impact of STEM and making it interesing and engaging for students!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers