Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Positive and Negative effects virtual learning

Early Childhood

Positive and Negative effects virtual learning

Author Post
Kayla Ruiz Kayla Ruiz 295 Points

As virtual learning has become the new normal for now, this is a new territory for not only students but teachers as well. What are some positive and negative effects that virtual learning has on children throughout the years of early education?

I hear your trepidation and worry about how children may or may not be affected by virtual learning. When I've had the opportunity to zoom into K-2 classrooms, I've seen engaged students capable of following established protocols for sharing and speaking. But I've also heard the stories of disengaged students, students without computer access, or appropriate time/support/materials. All have been struggles and challenges, yet many innovative, relentless teachers have created positive learning situations. Overall, kids are resilient and respond well to opportunities. Responding to students' social-emotional learning right now seems paramount. Kids will learn to read, kids will learn multiplication, but we need to support our kids and give them space and time to feel loved and protected. Kayla, I hope that our children will emerge from this global learning experience with a mindset that school and learning, including science, are important and worth pursuing. Continue to support the kids and each other!!

Karina Castellanos Karina Castellanos 410 Points

Education has changed tremendously when covid-19 started. There were so many technical issues and confusion at this time for many educators. Virtual learning has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantages were accessing coursework anywhere at any time, advancement in digital skills, and protecting from any spread of covid-19. Although these are some advantages there were many disadvantages. The disadvantages of virtual learning are challenges with technology, lack of social skills, physical activity is limited, and reduces teacher-student interactions. Teachers must try their best to engage and motivate students who are in virtual learning. I can definitely see a difference when students return from online learning to a physical school. Students learn more because there is interaction and they are able to improve their learning skills. There are many positive and negative elements of virtual learning but the overall purpose is to ensure that educators provide good quality education and show that students are learning. 

Michelle Phillips Michelle Phillips 5950 Points

Hi Kayla, 

Thank you for your question. 

Here is an article that might help answer this - https://www.nsta.org/science-and-children/science-and-children-julyaugust-2020-0/engaging-families

Perhaps someone else has some thoughts they could share?

Madison Johnson Madison Johnson 4665 Points

My main struggle as an online learner is keeping motivated. Getting on a computer every day for hours at a time while completing busy work is so draining, especially when you're supposed to be learning elementary education.

Tamia Bloomfield Tamia Bloomfield 505 Points

To me, a positive effect of virtual learning is very few but one I thought of is the younger students being able to practice using technology and how to work it on their own. I am a prek teacher assistant and I still find it so interesting how these students as young as 4 and 5 are able to unmute and mute their mics on their own and turn off their camera if needed all by themselves. The negative effects is definitely lack of motivation and it is very hard for students to actually stay focused and learn material especially when they are very young. I see it everyday on zoom. Being in the house for so long has an effect and they need to be able to physically interact with students.

Ashley Toledo Ashley Toledo 485 Points

I see both sides of the story. I have seen how it is hard for students to focus/feel motivated when it comes to online learning. As a teacher, I think, how can you do interactive activities and get students to participate when it is so easy for them to just turn their cameras and microphones off? But then, I also see how some students get bored and antsy from being on the computer all day. I also seen instances where some teachers are tech savvy, while others aren't. And that could make all the difference. As a future educator, I want to know, is this something that is going to be a permanent situation?

Logan Gonzalez Logan Gonzalez 750 Points

I think the positives and negatives of at-home learning are intertwined and very student to student. A student who is an introvert might love working from home but a student who is an extrovert might not be able to pay attention without the incentive of social interaction. Some students may finally have a quiet place to focus while other students may have a very loud family and not be able to focus at all.

Jessenia Gomez Jessenia Gomez 345 Points

It is shocking to see how much education has changed in the past year and to not even know when things will go back to 'normal'. However, thanks to the technology we have today, we are still able to conitnue our education. Some negative factors I see of virtual learning are students not getting the full social interaction with their friends, especially the younger ones who need that. Also, having to sit behind a computer for eight hours a day is extremely tiring, for both the teacher and student and it can be hard to keep all of your students attention. Students need the physical interaction, as well as do the teachers with their students. It is so hard to really get to know your students behind a screen. Now more than ever is the time where educators must try their best to motivate their students by keeping a positive attitude throughout this tough time and make their lessons as engaging and interactive as possible to ensure their students are getting the best virtual learning exprience possible. 

Ashley Eljaiek Ashley Eljaiek 325 Points

I believe that as a college students there are many positive effects on virtual learning such as saving plenty of money on gas and gas itself. I get the ability to learn in my own space/sanctuary where I can conentrate more rather than getting distracted so easily rathet with kids it's the opposite. For children they need in person contact, they need to socialize to build their social skills and this is extremely hard to build on virtual learning. Many kids do not even oay attention in virtual learning because they become distracted easily by the things around them. They also don't have the in person assistance that they so much crave and need as children. Although some may have their parents to help them, I can't say that all kids have this priviledge. There are defintely more negative effects to virtual learning rather than positive. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers