Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / technology in the classroom

Early Childhood

technology in the classroom

Author Post
Gracie Tapia Gracie Tapia 220 Points

Nowadays everything revolves around technology, How do you use computers in the science classroom? How do you help your students become independent learners?

Megan Doty Megan Doty 11847 Points

Hi Gracie, I found an article in the Learning Center that gives some tips about using technology in a classroom. It discusses a seventh grade classroom, but maybe the tips towards the end of the article may give you some ideas to use in Early Childhood: http://common.nsta.org/resource/default.aspx?id=10.2505%2f4%2fss99_022_08_38 I also found a collection created by Rachel Wilson that includes a few activities that use technology. See if any of these are of interest: http://learningcenter.nsta.org/mylibrary/collection.aspx?id=eFwRkc!plus!!plus!ZH0_E Let me know if you need a specific topic with technology integration or if you use one listed above - I'd love to hear how it went! -Megan

Kia Shields Kia Shields 3432 Points

Hi! The teacher can assign students a science topic for research. Students can research the information and compile the information into a powerpoint. Google Slides is what I love to use when I have group projects. On Google Slides, all group members can work on the presentation all at the same time. Also, changes are saved automatically so you do not have to keep saving the powerpoint like you have to do in Microsoft Powerpoint.

Erin Scroggin Erin Scroggin 3185 Points

A school I have observed at in my pre-service time has used iPads (obviously it would have to be in the budget of the school) but they have different interactive apps that can be used individually or in partners. A couple of apps I found to be interesting and helpful for kids are KhanAcademy, Science Bear, and BrainPOP.

Alberto Lozano Alberto Lozano 40 Points

We can use computers as a research tool for the students to get a better understanding to their question. The only way i see we can create more independents learners is by giving the students some time to read books.

Rebekah Nino Rebekah Nino 180 Points

Asking questions and having students use individual computers in the classroom to figure out the answer will help students be more engaged in the assignment. A computer can keep a student interested in the topic being taught.

Sarah Benton Feitlinger Sarah Benton 1775 Points

It might be worth thinking about other technologies besides a computer for the Early Childhood classroom. I realize this can come down to budgets, but are there other items to be used? Comparing numbers on a digital thermometer on the weather station and a standard thermometer? Magnifiers and microscopes that connect to the projector? You can even get microscope lens attachments for smart phones- not only can this enhance a nature walk, but you can even snap a photo. What other creative ideas have people tried?

Elyssa Rung Elyssa Rung 4412 Points

You could use the computers by having the students research whatever the science lesson is? Maybe have groups and have each group research something different involving the science lesson and have them use the technology to help them find their answers. With other things such as weather, you can have the students use the digital thermometers to compare with other groups the weather from the day before the day of and maybe the day after. Magnifiers and microscopes that connect to the projector would be a great idea simply because early childhood students may be too young to run a microscope so you being able to show them things under it over the projector will give them the idea of what things look like close up. You have some great ideas you just need to experiment with them and see how they go.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers