Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Recommendations for Elementary Science

Early Childhood

Recommendations for Elementary Science

Author Post
Alejandra Cardenas Alejandra Cardenas 240 Points

What are some ideas or activities do you recommend are necessary to teach science effectivly to young learners? 

Elizabeth Jimenez Elizabeth Jimenez 285 Points

Alejandra as a pre-service teacher I am also learning what are effective ways to teach science to young learners. I recommend that you include the 5 Es into your science lesson: Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate and Evaluate. Using each of them in your science lesson will ensure that you engage your young learners in the science lesson. 

Katie Casablanca Katie Casablanca 33 Points

This is a great question and I am wondering the same thing as I am also a pre-service teacher. I have read from a few other discussions that using plants and nature is a great way to implement science into student learning. I really like the idea of explaining how certain plants grow, such as flowers and fruits! I think this would be very fun for the kids too, as they can see how their favorite fruits/vegetables to eat and/or favorite plants have a life cycle of their own. I hope you found this helpful, it helped me visualize how I can introduce science in a fun and engaging way to my future students!

Yolanda Rodriguez Yolanda Rodriguez 330 Points

Hello, I agree with the previous post, using the 5's is a great way to have structured science lessons. I believe that as long as you have a well organize, prepared, and clearly state expectation you can effectively teach any lesson. Some activities that I do in my kindergarten class include, density activities that have to do with sink or float, plant activities such as part of plants by exloring actual plants and their parts, how plants grow by planting seeds in soil and exposing some to the sun and other with no sun exposure then recording observations, animal activities such as how do animals adapt in the winter having students explore textures. There are many simple and easy ways to teach science to young learners. 

Science is fun!

Kelsey Wertz Kelsey Wertz 830 Points

Hello!

I believe the most important thing to remember and to incorporate into your science lessons are hands on activities. Students have to be engaged and working with science materials while experimenting in order to really understand the content you are trying to teach them. Below are a couple science lessons I have completed in the past. 

I have completed multiple science lessons throughout my student teaching career. One topic that my second grade students have absolutely loved is Chemical vs Physical Changes. In order to help teach this concept, we read about physical changes then we placed food coloring into water and watched the food coloring physically change the water. After this we read about chemical changes and completed the experiment of placing Mentos into diet coke. My students absolutely loved this activity and they really understood the content because of the experiments. 

Another lesson that my third grade students loved was creating 'dirt' pudding in order to learn the different layers of soil. For this activity we read and talked about the four main layers of soil and added each 'layer' to our pudding cup. The students could at last eat their cup after they individually told me each layer of soil in the correct order. 

Hopefully this is helpful! Good luck!

Mary Bello Mary Bello 1115 Points

I love this question. I need an answer to this myself. I am a future Elememntary teacher and I would really like to kniw how to make teaching interesting.

Julienne Buendia Julienne Buendia 535 Points

Hello, I agree with all the other post. It's essential to incorporate the 5 E's into your lesson when teaching science to the younger ones. I find it essential to create connections to their own lives as well as providing them hands-on activities. When I am showing the life cycle, I have the students plant their plants. When I teach push and pull, I emphasize that these forces are even done in their normal routine. There are many activities that you can use to teach science to young students!

George Mehler George Mehler 1575 Points

Hello fellow science teacher,

I am replying you behalf of Funsciencedemos YouTube Channel that is home to hundreds of free videos for ideas for teachers and students to recreate in the classroom. Science is our passion and we are so excited to share our engaging, kid-teacher-parent friendly, and interactive lessons with you to use in the classroom or at home. Our videos adhere to the common core science standards, encompass a wide variety of science concepts, and are specifically geared toward younger learners. All videos on the FunScienceDemos channel come with an English subtitle that can be translated into almost any language, making science lessons accessible virtually any place in the world.  

We encourage you check it out and spread the word!

https://www.youtube.com/user/ funsciencedemos

Sincerely,

The FunScienceDemos Team

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers