Forums

Forums / Evaluation and Assessment / Assessment in Elementary Schools

Evaluation and Assessment

Assessment in Elementary Schools

Author Post
Joshana Henderson Joshana Henderson 3350 Points

Assessment is  a way to see if your students have met learning objectives, collects information and focuses on students' learning outcomes. There are two types of assessment that are popular and normally used in schools: Formative and Summative Assessment.  Formative assessment is utilized to immediately determine whether students have learned what the instructor intended. This type of assessment is intended to help instructors identify material which needs to be clarified or re-taught and should not be used to evaluate or grade students. For example, observing, questioning, class discussion, homework, in class assignments etc.  Summative assessment is utilized to determine whether students have met the course goals or student learning outcomes at the end of a course or program. For example, quizzes, tests, state tests etc.

Marilyn Quow Marilyn Quow 955 Points

Formative assessment helps me to determine what to do next, base on the responses from the students. For me it is important for me because I need to be sure that the students are comprehending the objective for the lesson.

Carole Moreno Carole Moreno 8288 Points

Assessments also help me figure out my students misconceptions

Ed Hodge Ed Hodge 35 Points

So, what criteria do you use when creating formative assessments? How are your questions written? How many questions do you use?

Sherry Pickett Sherry Pickett 30 Points

I know that the popular trend is to tell teachers they have the right to create their own assessments. However, I am struggling to create a summative assessment that will match the standards and allow my students to complete it in one class period. I only see my students every other week so the assessments must be something that does not take more than one class period. Does anyone have a resource that I can use to help build these types of assessments?

Janice Noguchi Janice Noguchi 615 Points

Here are some sites that may help: Organized by standards · http://www.livebinders.com/play/play?id=1176282             https://www.knowatom.com/ also check out TeachersPayTeachers There are some good assessments out there.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers