Forums

Forums / Life Science / Life Cycle Lessons for Kindergarten

Life Science

Life Cycle Lessons for Kindergarten

Author Post
Jennifer Clark Jennifer Clark 425 Points

One of the science standards for kindergarten is learning about life cycles. I am wondering if anyone has some great resources, projects, or in class materials that work well with 5 year olds in teaching them about this science task. I would like to use an anchoring event to introduce the topic and then branch out with different reinforcing lessons to make the anchoring event and topic memorable to them. If you have any ideas or suggestions for this topic, please share your knowledge.

Fabriely Martinez Fabriely Martinez 1395 Points

I have done a life cycle lesson using "the very hungry caterpillar" book by Eric Carle. This can help the student see the different stages of the life cycle. The egg, the caterpillar, the cocoon, and the butterfly. This can also be branched out to other animals and a start a lesson into sequential order. The students can categorize the different levels of growth and even count the meals the very hungry caterpillar ate.

Dulce Reyes Dulce Reyes 2565 Points

There is a butterfly life cycle done with different types of pasta. I tried it with my second graders and they absolutely loved it! It can definitely be done in a kindergarten classroom as well. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers