Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Suggestions or Advice for a new Elementary Science teacher?

Elementary Science

Suggestions or Advice for a new Elementary Science teacher?

Author Post
Carisa Meyer Carisa Meyer 2780 Points

I am a senior at the University of Northern Iowa and I am studying Elementary and middle level education with endorsements in Math and Social Studies. I was just wondering if any teachers had any advise for me since I might be teaching an elementary science class depending on where I get a job. I was just looking for classroom managmenet advice or if there were any wedsites that had good lesson plans that I could go off of? I will take any advice! Thank you so much!

Hayley Krogh Hayley Krogh 60 Points

Carisa,

I am a junior at Wartburg College studying Elementary Education as well. I think the best advice for teaching in general that I have recieved is to show your students how much you care about them. Some students you will have, will not get the love and compassion (whether that be at home or whenever), so I think it is essential for us as teachers to give that compassion and care for each and every student. As for science, I think it is extremely important to keep it active and fun. I know when I was in my elementary science classes, they were not interactive at all, and I ended up disliking science. Therefore, I think it is important to do so in order to create a positive and fun atmospshere for your students. Hope this helps!

Good luck,

Hayley Krogh

Pre-Service Teacher

Wartburg College

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers