Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Science in a Kindergarten classroom

New Teachers

Science in a Kindergarten classroom

Author Post
Hannah DeLaughter Hannah DeLaughter 360 Points

Hey everyone! This semester I have the privilege to teach science in a kindergarten classroom. My standard is all about plants and there are so many things you can and can't do, according to the standard because it is all about observing and looking at the plant. My question is how would you make a lesson interesting to keep kindergartener's attention about observing plants? Thank you!

Uchenna Agbahiwe Uchenna Agbahiwe 335 Points

Hi! Maybe you could pass around things to do with plants that won't be messy such as seeds, leaves, petals etc. Also having the students draw what they see when growing the plant. If there are clear pots they would be able to easier see what's happening under the soil and learn more that way.

Mendi Butera Mendi Butera 405 Points

I was able to student teach in a kindergarten classroom, and witness great science lessons from my master teacher. Our kindergarteners started out with tress. We did an interactive lesson where we learned about the parts of a tree and used our body parts to correlate to the trees parts (our feet were roots, our bodies trunks, our arms branches, and our hands leaves). This got the students thinking about trees. From there, we did a tree walk around our campus. We had a couple of different looking trees that our kindergarteners were able to observe. We brought our science journals out with us and the students sketched pictures of what the trees looked like. At each tree, we asked students what they noticed and if they could see any of the parts of the tree we talked about in class. When we got back to the classroom, we let students share their sketches and some of the things they noticed. We also did another lesson where students gathered leaves and colored them into their science journals by placing the leaves under the paper and using a crayon to transfer the leaf into their journal. Our kindergarteners LOVED these activities and it was a great way for them to be hands on in learning about plants.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers