Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Radiation, Radioactive and Radioactivity

Chemistry

Radiation, Radioactive and Radioactivity

Author Post
Monica Holloway Monica Holloway 2990 Points

This is my first year teaching 6th grade science. Next week I will be teaching about Marie Curie. I have a hands on activity to teach about radioactivity but am in need of teacher resources to help understand radioactivity and how to teach it. In the NSTA library I found the article Student Understanding of Ionizing Radiation and Radioactivity but am looking for additional resources. Thank you for your time!!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Monica,
Here is an article about how to weave female scientists into your curriculum. It includes information about Madame Curie:
Science Sampler: Weaving women into the science curriculum
Also, this link is all about Madame Curie:
Madame Curie and the Science of Radioactivity
Carolyn

Monica Holloway Monica Holloway 2990 Points

Thanks!!! So many resources and so much fun!!

James Bright James Bright 4100 Points

I am currently teaching forms of energy with my students and I used a trebutchet, catapult as an example of a potential and kinetic energy transformation. As I am instructing the students on the parts of the Trebutchet one of my female students remarks, "Why do all the boys know this?" My reply is simply, "Their boys." The female student says, "why aren't there more experiments for girls?" I did feel the need to tell this student about the Flight School for Girls at the Pacific Aviation Museum. Anyway long story short, thank you for the resources on Marie Curie. Also, Thank you for the resource on nuclear energy. I have been struggling with the idea of how to explain nuclear energy to my students in a clear, innovative and engaging approach. I can't wait to add it to my next rotation of classes. Mahalo

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers