Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Elementary Science

Elementary Science

Elementary Science

Author Post
Mykah Poage Mykah Poage 345 Points

What are some ways we can make learning about science fun for kids in a lower grade like 1st or 2nd? I personally love science and have always been a fan of learning more about it, but I know that is not always the case for everyone.

George Mehler George Mehler 1575 Points

?Hello, To answer your question, the team here at FunScienceNetwork, based at Temple University, has created a series of short video demonstrations for young learners. Teachers can play these videos, or reproduce the simple demonstrations with their students. Our channel has several playlists tied to the NGSS, and demonstrations on every basic concept students should be familiar with before reaching High School. If you enjoy these demos and find them helpful, please consider subscribing to our channel, and you will be notified as each new lesson is premiered. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IzFtevDNC3o Thank you, Dr.

I am a 2nd grade teacher. I have found that incorporating experiments keeps my students engaged. I try to have them with each unit. If you pinterest (I believe is where I found it), I found a wonderful Toy Story themed STEM activities slide that we have used. My teaching partner and I also designed a Mario Theme activity presentation that we used to teach force with Mario karts (we used the little wheel things from P.E.....I'm not sure what they are called). Music also helps keep students engaged.  Hope this helps!!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers