Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / classroom management

Elementary Science

classroom management

Author Post
Brisa Gonzalez Brisa Gonzalez 490 Points

How can I manage to do an experiment with students and keep them all focused and engaged in the classroom topic?

Cielo Elizondo Cielo Elizondo 500 Points

Hey Brisa,

Good question! Make them perform the experiment in accordance with your directions rather than performing it while they just watch. Also, making content relevant and meaningful to them will increase engagement since they will feel happy to be doing it rather than feeling 'forced' to do so.

Matt Bobrowsky Matt Bobrowsky 6410 Points

Have the students do the experiment, not you.

Alivia Brandhorst Alivia Brandhorst 775 Points

Hi Brisa,

Hello! This topic is so important within science education. Your question is very helpful in getting us to think about how we can use certain learning approaches. I think keeping the students engaged with hands-on tasks helps them really stay engaged. As elementary science educators, we can have a huge impact on how students engage and their interest in science. Making sure students are engaged is a hard topic because all students are different but it is important to get to know your students and think of different ways to keep students on task. 

Thank you for your question to get us thinking!

Alivia Brandhorst

Wartburg College, 3rd Year, Pre-Service Teacher

Elyse Juarez Elyse Juarez 725 Points

Hi Brisa! I am a third-year student at Wartburg College majoring in Elementary Education with endorsements in Reading & English as a Second Language. Throughout my field experiences in different classrooms, I watched teachers implement hands-on activities with the students. Not only does this give them a better learning experiment, but it gives them the chance to be collaborative with their peers as well. Some tips to keep them focused is to have them do the experiement, not you! Students love engaging. Another tip is to keep them excited and eager to know what is next for them! I hope this helped!

-Elyse Juarez

Wartburg College

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers