Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Lessons for teaching the seasons

Early Childhood

Lessons for teaching the seasons

Author Post
Katelyn Sherman Katelyn Sherman 7485 Points

Hello, my name is Katelyn Sherman. I am an Elementary Education major at Henderson State University. I am student teaching this spring and am trying to find lessons and activities to teach the seasons in my classroom. Does anyone have any lessons or activities that their students enjoyed doing? Thank you so much! 

Luke Oravecz Luke Oravecz 6420 Points

Hey Katelyn,

Here's a plan I found with some research:

Seasons Lesson Plan

It has sections for all 5Es throughout the lesson. Along with the walkthrough, it gives accommodations for students that may struggle with the writing. 

Overall, the lesson has students build/examine a model of Earth as it rotates along an axis.  Giving students a visual for sunlight and how it hits the planet at different times.  They will be able to make better connections through the visual model. It also ensures student engagement as you can use student volunteers to help come point things out and hold conversations with. 

Looks like a fun, hands-on way to teach students the ideas behind seasons and the way they change throughout the year. 

Ashley Nicome Ashley Nicome 238 Points

A lesson you can do for teaching seasons is having a large picture of each season. This picture should include the typical weather as well as some symbols for each season. Examples of symbols would be a kite for the spring and falling leaves for autumn. Also on the pictures should be the name and dates of the season. Begin the conversation by asking if anyone knows what season we are in currently. Depending on the class, you may need to teach the term “season” to them. Then use your cards to teach the names of the 4 seasons. Pronounce the names slowly and clearly, and have the students repeat what you say. It will be helpful if you have a calendar showing the whole year where you can point out each season’s start and end date. Tell them to draw symbols to show what they know about each season. 

Nikita Hatley Nikita Hatley 4210 Points

Hello, my name is Nikita Hatley and I'm a junior at Henderson State University and I'm a Elementary Education major and I would like to know what kind of lesson plans tips are out there for a future teacher.

Dana Williams Dana Williams 520 Points

I believe a great way to teach the seasons is to first start with reading different picture books for each season. Fold a plain white paper into 4 squares, one of each season. The focus will be on trees and its environment during season.

Spring- yellowish-green to pink leaves with flowers Summer- all green leaves Fall- red, yellow, orange leaves some falling to the ground Winter- snow, and no leaves on tree 

For higher grades, included the Earth and its position on its axis 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers