Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Life cycle of a caterpillar

Early Childhood

Life cycle of a caterpillar

Author Post
Loriane Tovar Loriane Tovar 200 Points

What is a fun way to introduce the life cycle of a catepillar to kinder students?

Elizabeth Jimenez Elizabeth Jimenez 285 Points

I think a great way to introduce the life cycle of a caterpillar is by first reading 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' and then have a real caterpillar in the classroom. It's a great way for the students to observe the metamorphosis of the caterpillar. 

Yolanda Rodriguez Yolanda Rodriguez 330 Points

I agree with the previous replies. The book the Very Hungry Caterpillar is a great book that goes over the life cycle of butterflies. I would then encourage you to create crafts involving the process of the life cycle. For example, having students recreate the life cycle out of playdough. Also, sequencing activities are great to learn the life cycle. Re-creating the cycle using a form of acting is interactive and children love it. Getting a Life Cycle Kit from Insect Lore is great in order for students to watch the life cycle with their own eyes.

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10953 Points

A fun way to introduce a lifecycle to kindergartners and children of any age is to provide first-hand experiences where they can directly observe the living organism over time, documenting their observations by drawing, writing, creating models, and/or taking photos, and discussing what they observe and what they think about it.

Caterpillars are the larvae of moths and butterflies. Another insect, larvae of beetles (“mealworms”) also go through dramatic physical changes as they grow to adulthood. Search the NSTA Learning Center resources for “caterpillar” and filter for “elementary” (and “free” if you are not a member of NSTA) to find many resources. Thank you NSTA for those free resources and this network/community!

Best wishes,

Peggy

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers