Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Preservice Teacher Advice

New Teachers

Preservice Teacher Advice

Author Post
Ella Duke Ella Duke 205 Points

Hello!  I am an undergraduate studying elementary education. As I get closer to graduation, I would like to start to compile some helpful advice and resources that will help me once I start teaching. What are some things you wish you had known before you started teaching or resources you wish you would have gotten access to sooner?  Thanks!

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

The greatest thing you can do is to start collecting resources. One way to do that is to start your "My Library" collection on NSTA. You can go to the "Explore All Resources" tab and refine your search, then click add to My Library and you will have a great collection very quickly. Check out http://ngss.nsta.org/ as well to look for resources. The forums are a great place to post questions about content, teaching strategies, etc. I wish I would have joined NSTA when I first began teaching!

Susan Farmer Susan Farmer 1520 Points

I agree that joining NSTA is a wonderful way to have access to great teaching resources. I love active learning and have always collected teaching activities to engage my students. The more I taught, the more I also learned about assessing student learning. Students can have a lot of fun and be engaged and not master the objectives. Take a look at the Assessment Probes in the Learning Center. They are a great way to really understand what students are understanding!

Kelsey Nason Kelsey Nason 680 Points

I too am a preservice teacher. I am currently in the classroom four days a week student teaching (Kindergarten), and I have found a variety of websites that have come in handy. Keep in mind, almost everything you find will need to be 'tweaked' or changed to fit your students and your TEK or objective. Hopefully the school or district will also give you many resources. Here's a list of websites myself and my mentor teacher like to use: Teacherspayteachers.com Pinterest.com Discoveryeducation.com Gonoodle.com Exchange.smarttech.com (if you get a classroom with a smart board) Teachertube.com Schoology.com Safeshare.tv (if you find a youtube video but want to skip the ads) Starfall and ABCYA (great for allowing students to use technology, can be accessed on computers or iPads) I hope these resources help you in your future classroom! Best of luck!

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Kelsey, those are good resources, however, they don't always align with each state's standards. For really good lessons that have been vetted by the NSTA, try: http://ngss.nsta.org/

Brenda Velasco Mizenko Brenda Velasco 2695 Points

I'm reading a Page Keeley book right now on formative assessment! I do highly recommend it. It's a wonderful resource as you work through different forms of assessments. I wish I had that information when I first started teaching.

Nicole Leon Nicole Leon 640 Points

I am also a preservice teacher and I am so happy I found this website since it has so many resources for an abundance of topics! I also appreciate the fact that NSTA has these forums where you can interact with other educators that aim to reach all kids is awesome. I also use CPALMS as well for other subjects!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers