Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Motion in Objects

Elementary Science

Motion in Objects

Author Post
Gricelda Sanchez Gricelda Sanchez 2665 Points

What are some great ideas to get started on a 5E Lesson plan for second graders involving the movement of objects such as sliding, rolling, and spinning over time? For example, what could be a great engage activity they could observe over one or several objects, and what could be the experiment overall that they could demonstrate to observe these movements?

Cassidy Rawson Cassidy Rawson 3265 Points

Hi Gricelda!

There are so many fun and engaging explorations that you can do with your students involving force and motion. I attached a link to 24 force and motion experiments for students. I would recommend creating centers with different explorations in each for students to rotate through. 

https://www.teachjunkie.com/sciences/force-and-motion-experiments/

Cassidy Rawson Cassidy Rawson 3265 Points

Hi Gricelda!

There are so many fun and engaging explorations that you can do with your students involving force and motion. I attached a link to 24 force and motion experiments for students. I would recommend creating centers with different explorations in each for students to rotate through. 

https://www.teachjunkie.com/sciences/force-and-motion-experiments/

Jill Williams Jill Williams 1585 Points

I just got done teaching a 5E lesson on motion to my second graders.  My Engage activity was a balloon that I let go in front of them and then we watched a virtual roller coaster.  That got them interested for sure!  We then moved into some Explore stations with shapes down a ramp, different objects to slide across a tray, doodle tops that spun, and a marble and pool noodle station.  After they explored we went over actual vocabulary words and what they mean: slide, roll, spin, force, movement, etc.  The culminating activity was an engineering design process activity where groups had to design, create, and test a maze created inside a box with at least 8 turns.  They had to test out 4 objects to move through the maze.  This demonstrated if they understood how things move and why the shape and size matters for movement.  

Hope these ideas help you some! Good luck!

Jessica Speake Jessica Speake 1755 Points

I am currently working with a class of 3rd grade students who are focusing on force and motion with objects. We are creating Rube Goldberg machines, and the students are obsessed! While teaching about force, motion, pushes, and pulls, students are working in small groups to design a plan for their machine. Each machine has to have a total of 4 different reactions, not including their initial starting reaction. There are so many great youtube videos of extensive Rube Goldberg machines for students to see before starting their own to see what they are and to hook them onto the idea. Within their plans before building their actual machines with their materials, the small groups must label all of the types of forces and motions that will occur within their machine. This project is so much fun for kids!

Alaka Devi Alaka Devi 1680 Points

Students can use a model of a slide (box top on stack of books) to carry
out an investigation. They ask questions about different materials and weights and
test their ideas to explore which combinations move the fastest down the
slide. Students then complete a fair test to determine which material has the least
friction. They engage in argument from evidence to share their findings with the class.

Kaile Stewart Kaile Stewart 635 Points

After explaining the difference between push and pull students can fill out a sheet describing whther the scene they're seeing is a push or pull motion. Examples could be someone pushing the cart in the grocery store or pulling a rope during tug of war! This worksheet could also be made into a fun interactive activity where students have to demonstrate the push and pull activity and used as a friendly competition,game. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers